L’equilibre Culmen Hoof Treatment

Give Nature What Nature Wants



The main foot rot-causing bacteria in cattle is Fusobacterium necrophorum, an ever-present bacterium found in the environment. Researchers have found this bacterium on the surface of healthy feet, in the rumen, and in the faeces of beef cattle.

Other bacteria that are present on healthy feet can increase the virulence of Fusobacterium necrophorum thereby increasing the incidence and severity of foot rot. When there is an injury to the hoof caused by walking on rough surfaces or standing in wet, damp or muddy conditions, resulting in a weakening of the foot tissues allowing the bacteria to wreak havoc on the foot. Another common cause of foot rot occurs when cattle move quickly from wet to dry conditions.

This can cause the skin to become chapped and cracked giving Fusobacterium necrophorum an opportunity to enter the tissues of the hoof. Mineral deficiencies of zinc, selenium, and copper have also known to be causes of foot rot. Because foot rot can be caused by a ubiquitous bacterium, it is not considered contagious.



For both treatment and prevention, use a 250 litre walk-through foot bath with a 3% (7.5Kg) L’equi Culmen Hoof dilution to the water. The treatment will show rapid results – generally in the first three days.

It is advisable to have another walk-through foot bath with clean water prior to the treatment foot bath to pre-clean the hooves. Replenish the foot bath daily with the same 3% solution. The walk-through foot bath is ideal for dairy cows as they need to walk daily to the milking area.


For meat-producing beef or feed lots, the application of L’equi Culmen Hoof is principally curative.

Once an infection has been detected, the animal must be isolated and then treated by mixing L’equi Culmen Hoof at a 3% dilution with water in a bucket. Immersed the infected hoof in the bucket for a few minutes. The same solution can be re-used on several animals.


When hoof rot is internal ie; when the skin swells but it is not punctured, it is advisable to puncture the swollen area, then use a syringe without the needle to force spray the solution internally into the affected area.

That will accelerate recovery.